Thursday, March 20, 2014

Just One More

Just one more post about vacation, and then I will stop, I promise.

We made the long trek home yesterday from Colorado.  I learned a few things.

1) It takes an immensely long time to drive through Denver between the hours of 9:00 and 10:00 in the morning.  We cruised along at a top speed of 35 mph for way too many miles.  I hate to think what it was like between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m.  Or maybe Denverites just don't go to work as early as the rest of the world.

2) My kids have absolutely no appreciation for how easy their lives are.  On the way home I was sharing with them that Thursday afternoon would be a day of helping around the house.  They moaned and groaned.  I, of course, launched into the "we just took you on a ski trip, so you WILL help out with getting the house cleaned up..." lecture.

My oldest immediately blurted out...."And all God's children said..."

And in unison, the two boys shouted..."BOOOOOO!!!"

3) In addition to my husband being the most patient individual on the planet (see previous vacation posts), he is also a genius.  Before we left to go skiing, he told me that he thought we should stay on Central time the entire time we were in Colorado.  I thought he was certifiably C.R.A.Z.Y.  How does one spend five days and four nights in another time zone and not switch over to that time?

Here's how: You put the kids to bed at their normal bed time (yes, even on vacation), which means they wake up in their normal time zone regardless of what the clock actually says (think daylight savings time).  Then you take them skiing for the entire day, feed them dinner, take them swimming, and put them in bed at 8:00 p.m.  They are so worn out, they don't even realize they are going to bed an hour earlier than normal. Repeat the above plan each day, and when you drive back home, you have absolutely no time change issues. Brilliant.

I will say it.  My husband was RIGHT, and I was WRONG.  It happens now and then (sometimes on an hourly basis).

Vacation is over.

Thankfully, Spring Break is not.

And better yet, March Madness begins today! It's a little bit like Christmas in this house. :-)
 

No comments: