Saturday, November 23, 2013

Best Customer Service Ever

I highly dislike having a problem that requires a phone call to customer support.

I am okay with using the 'Help' button or with chatting with someone online, but when it comes to actually having to go beyond that, I begin to lose hope that we will ever get the problem figured out.

However, my faith in Customer Service has been restored.

Even if the guy who helped me thinks I am a complete idiot.

The scenario unfolded something like this...

At 7:29 this morning, my 11 year old brought his iPod to me.  He was wanting to buy something on our iTunes account. He had a gift card on the account, so I was fine with it.

He was having trouble getting past the security questions, so I took over for him, thinking I would just provide the answers I had entered when we set up the account.

Only the questions that appeared were these:
Who was your first teacher?  I knew that answer, but did not remember selecting that question.
Who was your favorite teacher?  Hmmm.....that could be a few.  Did I really pick these?
Where were you on January 1, 2000?  What?? I knew I had never selected that question.

I put in some answers anyway.

It didn't work.

We tried again.

Same questions....no luck.

So we proceeded to the 'Help' area.  My heart sank when it gave me three options - enter my phone number and someone would call me (yeah, right); set a different time for someone to call (we kind of wanted answers now); or we could call them (it was 7:33 on a Saturday morning, I was sure no one would answer).

I decided to see if someone would actually call us on a Saturday, so I entered our phone number.

Except that as soon as I hit 'Submit', I realized I had entered my parent's phone number.

Seriously? My parent's number??

Yep.  I really did.  Completely on accident.  I have no idea what I was thinking.

I quickly called my mom - at 7:34 a.m. - and told her what I had accidentally done.  She said they just had a toll free call come in (which they did not answer), and the message said they would call back in 10 minutes.

That was FAST.  I assumed it was an automated call, but asked if she could answer the next time just to see what they said to do.  And, if by some chance there was a live person, could she please have them call me?


I felt about 8 years old and 2 inches tall.

Sure enough, less than 10 minutes later, my phone rang.  It was the Apple Customer Service guy.  His first words, "So....I just talked to your mom...."

Can I just die of embarrassment?

He was so nice.  How Jose managed not to laugh at me on the phone, I do not know.

He did NOT, however, say that this kind of thing happens all the time.

In less than 4 minutes he had us all reset and ready to go.

Before 7:45 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

Apple Customer Service rocks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! By the way, I don't know your phone number but I do know your parents…by heart…still...