Saturday, June 15, 2013

Family


Every now and then it is important to take a moment and reflect on life's many blessings. 

These people....


They bless me. 

They are my Illinois family.

All except for one aunt and uncle who live in Lawrence, but we love them too.  They get extra kudos because we share the same last name, which is not the family name.  That, and they are Jayhawks.  They, of course, get bonus points for that, too.

This group consists of people who have...
 ...babysat me
...allowed me to babysit their kids
...officiated my wedding
...talked for hours offering advice
...known me my whole life
...married into the family and become some of my dearest friends
...been heroes to my boys
...stood beside me as my maid of honor
...inspired me to make hard choices
...played for hours with my kids
...loved me unconditionally

See the nice little lady in the front row of the family picture?  She's wearing the pink sweater.

Yes, sweater.  It was only 80 degrees.

That's my grandma.  She has put up with me for many years, even up to a month at a time during the summers of my junior high years. Amazingly enough, she still always looks happy to see us.

This past weekend we celebrated her 90th birthday.


I seriously hope I have genes from this side of the family.  She is 90 years old, still able to live on her own, and drives a brand new shiny red car.  She also plants and maintains gorgeous flower gardens like this. 


The great family in front of the flowers is the one who hosts the hubs and I and our crazy kids each time we visit.  We talk a lot, laugh a lot, and stay up late chatting until at least one of us falls asleep while sitting on the couch.  I'm happy to say that the person falling asleep usually isn't me!  Usually.


The family has changed over the years.  Little ones have come along...

 

Past little ones are now all grown up (and are very nice to play with the new little ones)...


This family plays a lot of games...


Even the little tykes...

 

This family takes competition to a whole new level...


Especially when it comes to baseball.  Although "baseball" might be somewhat of a loose term for the games that took place.

The best part...three generations playing together.  Fifty-somethings...forty-somethings...thirty-somethings....twenty-somethings...and six, seven, and ten year olds.  Together.

All acting like they are 14.



It's the stuff memories are made of.

No comments: