Monday, May 28, 2012

Harvest - Day 1 (Sort of...)

Anyone who has had to deal with harvest will totally relate...


8:00 a.m. --

FIL: I think I am going to try to cut today.

DH: OK...I doubt it will be ready, but let's try.

FIL: Let's shoot for 1:00.


2:00 p.m.-- (Phone call)

DH: We're cutting!

Me: Is it dry enough?  How did it test?

DH:  We aren't even taking a sample in.  It's ready.  I can't believe it, but we'll be shocked if the moisture is over 12.5. 

Me:  Can I bring out the boys?  They want to ride the combine and the wheat truck.

DH:  Sure.


2:45 p.m. -- Arrive at wheat field

Me:  Why is the combine sitting and you are not cutting?

DH:  Well....now we are not so sure it's ready.  It's greener than we thought, so Dad is taking a sample into town.

Sit and wait, sit and wait, sit and wait....


3:08 p.m. -- Phone rings

FIL:  It's too wet.  Moisture is 15.  Haul the equipment back home.


If I had to write the script of the beginning of harvest every single year, I would write it exactly.like.this.  So WHY, oh WHY, do we do this same thing every time? 

JUST IN CASE WE'RE WRONG.

Until tomorrow....

No comments: