Friday, November 9, 2012

The Most Unpolitical Political Post Ever Written

I am not a very political person.

I completely understand that this is not something to be proud of.  I know that it is my responsibility to stay up-to-date about what is going on.  I try to read enough to stay in the loop, to be able to formulate a relatively informed opinion, and to make sure I am supporting those who I want representing me.

This is not fun for me.  It takes a significant amount of effort, and frankly, I wish it were okay to just ignore it all.

But it's not.

So I attempt to be quietly aware.

'Quietly' carries significant importance when it comes to politics in my world.  I am related to several people with some very staunch political viewpoints.  This would not be a problem, except that I am related to some other people with equally as strong completely opposite viewpoints.

I am guessing everyone faces this in one way or another.

It doesn't really phase me.  I love them all (the people, not the viewpoints).

But I still choose 'quietly'.

When it comes to political parties, I wish I could pick and choose my favorite things about each party and vote for the candidate who fits all of THOSE criteria. Who doesn't wish that.

To be honest, I wasn't thrilled about either candidate.  While the role of president is obviously significant, I am pretty sure that one human in the White House isn't going to solve all of our problems.  I am also pretty sure that our entire future isn't resting on the shoulders of one individual.  And while I understand the sadness of a candidate losing, or the joy of a candidate winning, I am pretty sure that the blame for whatever has happened or will happen cannot be placed on a solitary person.

A few more things I feel relatively sure of....
  • If each father and each mother governed their own family with integrity and honesty, this nation would be a much better place.
  • If each boss treated his/her employees with respect and fairness, this nation's work ethic would be considerably improved.
  • If each human being accepted the responsibility for his/her mistakes, the judicial system would be able to function as it was originally designed.
  • If each family who was able would take care of one homeless person or one orphan, two international epidemics would be significantly impacted.
  • If each person who was able would feed one hungry individual, world hunger would come to an end.
I have no intention here to sound preachy or judgmental.  I am simply thinking out loud and speaking to myself as much as anyone else.  I am overwhelmed at times because I have no power in and of myself to make any significant change. 

However....together....we really could make a difference.

So now what?

I'm not sure.   

No comments: